Tuesday, March 26, 2013

What's Good About Good Friday?


My nearly six year old daughter asked me yesterday, “Why is Good Friday called that?” Despite the fact that I’m an ordained Christian minister, trained and supposedly able to answer questions such as this, my reaction was probably very similar to how anyone might react when asked such a deep question, with significant theological ramifications. I panicked. I mean, this is the religious equivalent of “Where do babies come from?”!

I said to her, out loud, trying to psych myself up, “I’m supposed to be able to answer that question, aren’t I.” 

In some traditions, they don’t blink at telling a kindergartener - “Because Jesus died for our sins on Good Friday. That’s why.” But I don’t want to give my daughter such an overly simplistic answer, especially one I don’t think fully covers the question. What happened on Good Friday was truly awful. Scandalous even. I don’t want to be the kind of parent that hides the truth from his kids, but nor do I want to give my kids more than they can developmentally handle at their age. 

So what’s a parent and a pastor supposed to do? 

We had a conversation at our church council meeting the other day about having a good bad day. And as it turned out, I think a lot of us came to understand that it is possible to have a bad day, that turns out to be good. We might’ve learned something important on that “bad” day. We might’ve been inspired to turn our lives in a different direction. Or, were it not for a particular event, we might not have met someone who turned out to be incredibly significant in our lives. To put it in another way, sometimes “bad” days, really aren’t all that bad. 

Bad and good sound like they should be different enough from each other that we should be able to easily tell the difference. But Good Friday is a perfect example of something that breaks down that theory of "good" being unambiguously good, and "bad" being unambiguously bad. Good and bad have a far closer relationship with each other than we sometimes admit. 

I ended up telling my daughter that when Jesus was killed, it was a bad day. It was very sad. But what it means is that no matter how bad of a day we have, God knows exactly how we feel, and is with us every step of the way. And the story ended up even better for Jesus, as we’ll hear on Easter morning. 

But in the meantime, I hope you’ll join me in the tough questions of this Holy Week. It’s nice to know we’re not alone - even when things seem really bad. 

No comments: