Friday, December 14, 2012

Wailing, Lamentation, Weeping

"A voice was heard in Ramah, wailing and loud lamentation, Rachel weeping for her children; she refused to be consoled, because they are no more." -Matthew 2:18


Every night, when I tuck my five year old into bed, she wraps her arms around my neck and gives me kisses. Every night, she doesn't want to let go, and I have to pull away, as it's really a bit of a stall tactic. Tonight, I held on to her as long as I could. She has no idea about what happened today in Connecticut. So I didn't hold onto her for her benefit, it was totally for me. 

Tonight, I didn't care that my 7-month-old spit up on my clothes, I just watched him chew on his Taggies toy that was also drenched in spit-up and drool, and loved watching him figure out how to move his hands around. 

I read an annoying princess book to my three-year-old, hardly paying attention to the words, as I wondered about what stories will help her handle such terrible events when she grows up. 

And as I came downstairs to my wife, a school psychologist in an elementary school, I could not help but be overwhelmed for Newtown, CT; for the parents who will never again get to read to their son or daughter, never again feel those arms around their neck or those slobbery kisses on their cheek. I could not but think of the families of Sandy Hook's school psychologist, the principal, and the other adults who dedicated their lives to building children into healthy young people, and who are no longer with us.

I am sick over this. Utterly sick. And furious. 

If anyone thinks for one second that I give a damn about someone's hobby, or that the second amendment is more important to this country than the sweet children who were lambs to the slaughter this morning, you are sorely mistaken. 

To the National Rifle Association and your cronies - you are a demonic force in our society. 

If you care more about your passtime than the precious lives of our children, you are sick. If you think this is some kind of protection against an out-of-control government, you are paranoid and delusional. 

If you start to tell me that people kill people, not guns, look into the faces of the parents who lost their babies today and tell them that. If you want to tell me it's too early to talk about gun control in the wake of this shooting, you could not be more wrong. For the students, staff, and families of Sandy Hook, it literally cannot be soon enough.

When I look into the eyes of my kindergartener, and I think about what might happen if someone walked into her classroom with one of these weapons, I am completely terrified. If we cannot have an honest, frank, sincere conversation in this country about sensible protections for the sake of our children, then we do not deserve the freedoms our Constitution provides. 


3 comments:

Earthbound Spirit said...

Amen.

Jason Gottsacker said...

I disagree that it is a time to engage in dialog about gun control. In order to engage in productive dialog, parties need to be able to understand opposing points of view. I can’t engage those who believe to the core of their humanity that guns are inherently evil instruments. I can’t engage those who believe to the core of their humanity that armed teachers would prevent a tragedy like this. I can’t hear the truth buried in either extreme, because all I can hear is a nation crying over their dead children.

Mark Winters said...

Jason, I appreciate your moderation, and respect the reasoned approach for which I hear you calling. But I simply think that sensible gun restriction in this country is something we should've done a long time ago. If something like this doesn't move us towards that goal, then what will? How many more people have to die? I don't want to see this any more. I don't want to see people crying because some person took something meant to kill, something meant to kill quickly, and meant to kill a lot of bodies, and aimed it at children. I just don't want to live that way anymore.